What’s best we got ?
- We can create a template which will be reused forever
- Do a change in one place, it will reflect wherever it’s referred
- Reduces developer time in finding the copy paste issues LoL
- Able to pass parameters to and fro
- Best work for the control flow component which will be independent of the previous steps ex. Package audit
- Defined connection managers in package parts will be carried out wherever it’s used. I guess it’s best thing. So many times I have faced this issue during copy paste. Hope this issue will not repeat if we use package parts
What to be considered ?
- The configured package parts variables in your package will be overridden , whenever you modifying / refreshing the package parts
- Best works for the control flow executables which will be independent of the previous steps ex. Package audit
- You can debug package part from the package by keeping breakpoints in package parts
- Variables in package parts are Task Scoped. So you have to think on how to pass values to it
- Using expression editor in package parts variable, we can pass values
- Passing object variables to package parts is not possible because expression editor will not support object variables
This feature is available from SQL server 2016. Since this is first release we can expect more in upcoming releases.
Try it out and share with your thoughts .
Happy blogging . . .